Saturday, May 10, 2014

PROPERLY SCANDALOUS: A Review :)

"She'll get under your skin"

(Spoiler-Free! Go Read!)
TITLE: Properly Scandalous (Young and Scambitious#2)
AUTHOR/s: Mina V. Esguerra
PUBLICATION DATE: 5th of May, 2014
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | SmashwordsBuqo
So a few days ago, I've learned that Miss Mina V. Esguerra has given us a chance to have a copy of her latest work Properly Scandalous. Of course, given the opportunity, I grabbed it and happily dove in the world of the Young and Scambitious series.

Even though I haven't read the first one in the series, a friend of mine (Hi Ate Luna! *waves* Find her own review HERE!) told me that it doesn't matter. I'll get the hang of the story even without reading the other one first. So I did. And here are some thoughts about Mina Esguerra's Properly Scandalous :)
(via Goodreads)

Some thieves get away with it, and appear to live the rest of their lives in comfort and luxury. But not without meeting twenty-something society brats Jane del Mundo and Gabriel Grande first. Jane and Gabriel are not in the business of apprehending them though, but in recovering what has been stolen, in very specific amounts.

How are society girl Elizabeth Madrid and young actress Truffles Marquez connected? Not in any way Truffles is aware of, until a government official with a very specific crush unwittingly becomes the next mark for Jane and the gang.



Ahh, the great Miss Mina strikes again! I've read her other books before (though not all) and they were fine. Her writing style is a bit different than other writers' I've read before. Maybe that's why most often than not, I have a hard time completely feeling it.

Properly Scandalous is more like a short story because of its length but nevertheless, enough to cover all major points to keep the story interesting. I admit that the concept is pretty cool. I mean, we usually see "scammers" as antagonists in stories, right? It's quite refreshing to see the world through their eyes for a change.

The characters were cool in some ways. And I liked Jane/Gabriel and Wendy/Alexander. Especially the latter since they're too cute :) Some occurrences were a bit confusing to me though. Maybe I would have understand it better if I've read the first one first but I guess Ate Luna is still right. I managed to understand the plot fairly well, just not the characters fully. 

Anyway, as much as I liked the concept and the characters, I wasn't much thrilled about the completely package after reading it. I know it's meant to be different from the author's usual "light", "fluffy", and "teens-y" works and maybe that's why I didn't really enjoy it that much. I don't think NA is my cup of tea hahaha :) I'd rather stick with YA, which is my groove as of the moment :)

All in all, it was an okay read, just not something that I'd want to hop in at the moment. It actually served as a good distraction when I wanted to take a break from my other reads *coughScorchTrialscough* Probably people who enjoy NA would love this so I'd recommend it for you guys who wants to step up from YA :) 

I'd give a 3.5/5 rating for Mina V. Esguerra's Young and Scambitious 2: Properly Scandalous :)

3.5/5 rating :)







~~~ooo~~~
PS. Check out Ate Luna's blog HERE!
And you might want to drop by Miss Mina's site HERE and join her mailing list for free books, discounts, and giveaways! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)