Monday, December 28, 2015

SECOND CHANCE SUMMER: A Review :)


TITLESecond Chance Summer
AUTHOR/s: Morgan Matson
PUBLICATION DATE: 8th of May, 2012
AVAILABLE AT: AMAZON | BOOK DEPOSITORY



If there is a singular person who introduced me to what became my brightest burning passion that is reading, it would definitely be my cousin. So, fast forward to several years later, she still is my go-to book buddy and her recs never fail me (except for this one series about vampires and werewolves. It's a no for me.)


Moving on,  I've been hooked by Morgan Matson's previous work so when my cousin basically shoved this book to my face, internally screaming "read thiiiiiis" with tears streaming down her cheeks, I just went on and gave it a shot and yes, I can say that my cousin never fails me. *waves* hi Cuz!



Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve. 

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.


Well, it's a Morgan Matson book (I adored Since You've Been Gone!) so what more could I say? Yes, it started out a bit slow for me but like her other work, once you've gotten the groove, things start to get...interesting. I actually placed this book on hold for a few months after I've started reading it while sticking with shorter novellas to pass the mini book slump I've had. Finally, as the year's coming to an end (and fine, I'm cramming my GR challenge!) I decided to go on and finish this thing off. And my! Was I in for a surprise!

Like Since You've Been Gone, I wasn't really hooked right from the very first page. In fact, I felt that the first quarter of the book dragged on Taylor's routines. Fortunately, after a few more chapters of so-so events, things started to slowly spike up a bit - which was a really good thing since it gave me the push towards the ending that I was hoping for.

The plot was quite simple and in fact, fairly predictable. But what makes you want to read on is its characters. They might be plain and usual but deep inside, you'll be rooting for them. You'll be wanting to see how friendships gets rebuilt, old flames get rekindled (and new ones begin!), and broken people start to stand up once more. I'm not an easy-to-cry kind of reader but I must admit that although I did not ugly cry on this one, I did get teary-eyed on some parts especially during the last few concluding chapters; Those pure, emotionally heartbreaking chapters *sniff*.



Overall, the book was wonderful, with all the right mix of family, friendship, and romance. It made me realize some important things and made me think of all the things that I was taking for granted simply because I know that it's there. Second Chance Summer - as the title implies - also made me believe that some people (and relationships, may it be romantically or platonic friendship) really does deserve another shot. Lastly, another thing that this book taught me is how running away from problems won't get it fixed. Instead, it is important to learn how to confront things head on. One must have courage to accept his/her mistakes and learn from them.




"You know, holding hands is a really big deal (...) It means something. And you don't hold hands with just anybody. You only do it with someone you really care about." -Nora

"(...) And they'd been there all along. I just hadn't known what was I was seeing." -Taylor 

"The thing is that people only get hurt - really hurt - when they're trying to play it safe. That's when people get injured, when they pull back at the last second because they're scared. They hurt themselves and other people." -Lucy 

"A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more." -Taylor 

"It will be scary. But I know you can do it. Know that I'll be with you, if there's any way that I can manage it. And know that I have always -and will, for always- love you." -Rob Edwards





As you might have guessed, YES this book broke my heart. YES, you must go and read it :D  I have no more words to say except for I highly recommend this read to anyone who needs a little push in believing the magic of second chances (and well, not taking things for granted during the first chance.)

I did like Since You've Been Gone slightly better because it picked up my interest earlier than this one (and although Henry was adorbs, Frank Porter is still better. Of course it's THE Frank Porter) but in points of emotional advantage, Second Chance Summer bags the award. 

Four out of five rating for Morgan Matson's Second Chance Summer!

4/5 Rating! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)