Saturday, June 20, 2015

THE FANGIRL'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY: A Review :)

"I am a fangirl, a feminist, and a force to be reckoned with."

TITLE: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: 
A Handbook for Girl Geeks
AUTHOR/s: Sam Maggs
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of January, 2015
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | Book Depository 
 

It's not uncommon knowledge to anybody who knows me that I'm a self-proclaimed Fangirl. That's why when I first saw this title (at Carmel and Kyla. Thank you girls!) I instantly needed to devour this beauty! (and that's saying a lot coming from someone who rarely reads non-fiction)

Fortunately I managed to do so a few weeks later! Yay! Here are some of my thoughts :)




Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.

I really had high expectations on this one because it's a friggin' book about FANGIRLS and how AWESOMESAUCE they WE are! I'm really glad that Sam Maggs wrote this one but I kinda have mixed feelings about it.

While I liked most of the parts, there were points where I was lost with all the terms and places and names and other stuff that was going on. I guess it could've been better if it discussed fangirls in general instead of dividing them into categories (e.g. gamers, otaku, booknerd, etc.) because there were some parts that might be uninteresting for some readers who are just not into a certain thing, like gaming for me. 

Also, as mentioned in some reviews I've read post-reading the book, I'm pretty sure that not all fangirls have the capability to hoard all "necessary" fandom merch or go to conventions/meet-ups/little play dates of some sort, no matter how much they want to because of several various reasons that may or may not apply to everyone. (I dunno if it counts as a "convention" but I was actually disappointed to not see Book Expo America (BEA) in the lists)

With all that said and settled, I proceed to the parts that I actually liked :)

For starters, I absolutely adored the illustrations! Just look at it! Amazing. 

Aside from that, I loooooved the section on fangirl speak and the terms on fanfic writing. FEELS were DEFINED ahhhh! sml. Then there's this amazing interviews which were empowering (although I didn't really know who most of them were) They perfectly summed up what a fangirl really is (which is someone, regardless of gender, who is extremely passionate about something and is not afraid to show it)

The trolls talk was entertaining too, as well as the "kingdoms" of the internet (despite being entertaining, I think both weren't exactly necessary since most people know how twitter, facebook, and the gang runs.)

Lastly, and it took up a great portion of the book, is the thing about Feminism. Aside from being a fangirl, I am also a self-proclaimed supporter of equality among all sexual preferences (yes, LGBTQIA included) and I liked how Sam Maggs managed to stress on important things regarding the concept while debunking myths on it (Yes, men could be feminists too!) Just take note that there's a fine line between feminism (female = male) and misandry (female > male) This book isn't only pro-gender equality but also basically pro- equality regardless of one's age, culture, race, color, etc. which is a big plus for me :)

"Being a fangirl is the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"We're all fans of something, but being a fangirl means you're willing to show it, unabashed and with great vigor." -Jill Pantozzi

"Don't change your opinion just because others don't agree with it, but don't be afraid to change because you want to." -Jill Pantozzi

"No one needs to invite you to the table. Just do what you love. Eventually someone will see what you are doing and invite you to that table, or better yet, you'll build your own damn table." -Lorraine Cink

"Be nice to people (...) because life is hard and everyone deserves a fair shake. Kindness feels good to give and it's totally free." -Lorraine Cink

Overall, the book was amazing! (if you disregard most of its low points) The title might be a bit misleading because I feel like it's more of a "guide on how to be a fangirl" rather than a guide for fangirls themselves. Still, it was an empowering read and it makes me realize that being a fangirl(boy)/geek/nerd is not something to be ashamed of. It is something that we should embrace and flaunt :)

This book is actually something I consider recommending to my non-fangirl/boy friends so that they'd get to understand and know me more (especially during my don't-touch-me-I'm-being-attacked-by-so-much-feels moments hahaha!)

3.5 out of 5 rating for Sam Magg's The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy! :)

3.5/5 Rating! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)