Thursday, June 18, 2015

DOROTHY MUST DIE: STORIES: A Review :)

(Minor spoiler review! Go Read!)

TITLE: Dorothy Must Die: Stories
AUTHOR/s: Danielle Paige
PUBLICATION DATE: 3rd of March, 2015
GENRE: 
YA Fantasy, Retelling
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository

This series of review is actually long overdue but better late than never, eh? :)

So a couple of weeks back, I've read and reviewed Danielle Paige's Dorothy Must Die and its sequel The Wicked Will Rise (check out my back to back review HERE!) And today, I'm very much excited to share with you guys my thoughts on the series' companion book which is a compilation of three, YES THREE, e-novellas in the Dorothy Must Die Universe! How awesomesauce is that? 

Let's do this!

"No Place Like Oz"

TITLE: No Place Like Oz
AUTHOR/s: Danielle Paige
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of November, 2013
GENRE: 
YA Fantasy, Retelling


After returning to Kansas, Dorothy Gale has realized that the dreary fields of Kansas don’t compare to the vibrant landscapes of Oz. And although she’s happy to be reunited with Aunt Em, she misses her friends from the yellow brick road. But most of all, Dorothy misses the fame and the adventure. In Kansas she’s just another prairie girl, but in Oz she was a hero. So Dorothy is willing to do anything to get back, because there really is no place like Oz. But returning to the land she left comes at a price, and after Dorothy is through with it, Oz will never be the same.

The first novella in the compilation revolved around post-Oz Dorothy and how much she wanted to go back to the magical place she's been to. Fortunately (or actually, UNfortunately,) she received a "gift" on her sixteenth birthday which allowed her to get her wish afterall.

I enjoyed reading about how Dorothy started to turn into what she is during the main series. In contrast with some reviews I've read, No Place Like Oz didn't actually make me sympathize with Dorothy since I think that she really was selfish and conceited even at the beginning. I also find it interesting to see her become this annoyingly rude and-forgive the term- b*tchy teen which surprisingly portrays some real life teenagers I know. 

But aside from Dorothy, what I loved the most in this story is a character that I didn't really like in the main series: Princess Ozma. Here, she wasn't empty and ghost-like as seen before. She was really princess-y and royal but it also showed her cool and simply amazeballs magic tricks up her sleeves. THIS is the real Ozma. I wonder if we'll see this version some time soon again? *fingers crossed* 

Another thing I appreciated is the mini history lesson about Oz's origin. It created some kind of anchor on how things work around the place. Basically, the novella was full of magic which I really, really enjoyed! How Dorothy channeled her inner "magician" and how she eventually managed to somewhat "control" and use her magic is really something to look out for ;) 

Even though it took some time for me to get settled in the story, I enjoyed it very much especially the last few SMOKING HOT (*wink*) chapters! Just...go read really.
4/5 Rating! :)
______________________________________________________

"The Witch Must Burn"

TITLE: The Witch Must Burn
AUTHOR/s: Danielle Paige
PUBLICATION DATE: 11th of November, 2014
GENRE: 
YA Fantasy, Retelling

Dorothy Gale is back . . . and she’s not the sweet little heroine of Oz anymore. She’s power-hungry and vicious, and she leaves a trail of destruction beneath her spike-heeled, magical shoes. But behind the scenes, there’s someone else pulling the strings. Someone who doesn’t want fame or glory—just control.

Glinda of the North brought Dorothy back to Oz for a reason. And in The Witch Must Burn, a young maid is about to discover that a witch who says she’s Good might be the most dangerous kind of Wicked.

THIS. This novella is my favorite among the three. I honestly don't know how to get started because FEEEEELS! Anyway, here goes nothing. A bit spoiler-y but nothing that gives away the story completely :)

One of the reasons why I loved The Witch Must Burn is because it featured TWO of my favorite characters in the main series: Jellia and wait for it- NOX! I know, right?!

First, Jellia. I loved how she got her chance under the spotlight but that doesn't mean I loved exactly what happened to her. I think she's one of the characters in the series who has the most rotten luck. If her pain in the main series wasn't enough for some, then this novella provided so much much more *cries* As if dealing with Dorothy wasn't enough, she was also forced to be with our ever-pink witch Glinda, which isn't exactly something better than staying at Emerald City.

Another thing is that we got a bit backgrounder on who Jellia is: about her bloodline, her magical capabilities, and of course..her glamorous nail art skills hahaha :) Plus points because we saw how caring she was to almost everyone- especially pre-Amy Astrid :)

On the other hand, we have our ever charming Nox. I know he'll be appearing in the novella but I didn't expect him to appear THAT early. Anyway, a thought I had while reading: I could ship practically anyone with Nox. I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help it! Nox is exponentially more...human in this novella. He shows his caring, soft, and vulnerable side which made me swoon and fangirl. (Sorry, not sorry!) However, (yes I'm not ALL that biased when it comes to him) the only thing that held me back from giving it a perfect rating is that it seems like Nox played out Pete's role back in Dorothy Must Die as Jellia did with Amy's. Like, if it were an analogy, it would pretty much look like this: 

AMY: PETE = JELLIA: NOX

Aside from that, it was in fact brilliant! :)

4.5/5 Rating! :)
______________________________________________________

"The Wizard Returns"

TITLE: The Wizard Returns
AUTHOR/s: Danielle Paige
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of November, 2013
GENRE: 
YA Fantasy, Retelling


Dorothy Gale is back . . . and she's not the sweet little heroine of Oz anymore. She's power-hungry and vicious, and she leaves a trail of destruction beneath her spike-heeled, magical shoes. But she wasn't always in charge. There used to be a different ruler of Oz. Someone who also came from the Other Place, and who stole power for himself. They called him the Wizard.

The story goes that when a young Dorothy revealed the Wizard as a fraud, the man behind the curtain fled Oz in his hot air balloon. But in The Wizard Returns, he wakes in a field of poppies to find out that not only had he never left, but that he has no memory of who—or where—he is. As he undergoes a series of tests to uncover his memories, he finds that the very girl who threw him from the Emerald Palace is in control. And that Oz may be his destiny after all.

The last story in the compilation was my least favorite. Not because it isn't wonderful but because I wasn't really that interested with the Wizard. Also, I'm with the other reviewers who said that they felt The Wizard Returns didn't actually add up much to the entire plot.

The pick-upper on this one though, is the fact that we got to see how he...developed over time. Of course, some old habits never change but it's nice to see a tiny bit of humanity in the Wizard despite all his seemingly evil doings. 

Aside from that, the addition of Pete was interesting. However, some of his actions in the main series were kind of differing from his objectives in this novella. Although enjoyable, I couldn't help see a bit of Nox in him here.

Lastly, the part I liked a lot was revisiting the Queendom of the Wingless Ones. And Iris

I guess nothing much could be said with this one. I liked it but not as much as I have enjoyed the previous two.

3/5 Rating! :)


Overall, Dorothy Must Die: Stories proved to be an interesting read especially for fans of the main series. It's refreshing to see more of the backstories of side characters and/or to see how a character became who he/she is along with their reasons (no matter how bent) in doing what they do.

Oh and have I mentioned that the covers are absolutely wonderful? No? Then I must say that the covers are absolutely wonderful :)

Can't wait for the next installment! Go read :)

4/5 Rating! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)