Monday, April 28, 2014

DIVERGENT SERIES Review! :D

"Be Brave"

(Spoilers ahead! Proceed with caution)
Veronica Roth's Divergent Trilogy
Finally! After a week of reading, I've finished all three. (Plus the other companion books. Read my review about them HERE!Yay! :) 

Anyway, as I said before, I've been hearing a lot of this fandom ever since the first book Divergent came out. Mixed responses both positive and negative but then, when the last one, Allegiant, came out, I decided to see for myself. And I had! Glad I did :)

Enough with this and let's get moving! :D

*It would probably be lengthy too since I got too much to say so please bear with me. Thanks! :)


All it takes is one choice:
A society made up of five different factions, each with their own identifying qualities that separates one from the other. But what will you do if you find out that you could possibly belong to not just one and that your kind can threaten to topple down a whole nation? In this breath-taking page turner, readers follow Beatrice "Tris" Prior's decisions and choices that can transform, destroy, and define not only her life but the lives of others as well.


TITLE: Divergent (Divergent#1)
AUTHOR/s: Veronica Roth
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of January, 2011
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository

The ice-breaker of the three. Before starting on this, I've read several reviews saying how much it was a rip-off of Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games. Being a fan of the said trilogy, I couldn't help but notice that there are indeed several similarities between the two but then again I didn't mind. Divergent has its own qualities that made it stand out of THG's shadow. Plus, I know how hard it is to create a unique plot to separate one dystopian world from another. I liked how the characters were complex but at the same time relatable in some ways. Also, plus points because Fourtris is <4 :)) They actually remind me of Mulan and Shang :"> The deaths were a big blow though, but I've already expected it from the beginning anyway so I'd still give this first book a 5/5 rating :D

TITLE: Insurgent (Divergent#2)
AUTHOR/s: Veronica Roth
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of May, 2012
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository

The second book was as good as the first one if not greater. Of course, there were even more deaths here and I don't know if it's just me or it really grows more painful as it proceeds. The rocky relationship that occurs between Tris and Four was also a good touch though at the part where (SPOILERS) Tris wanted to sacrifice herself, I was really like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" and later on, when Four arrives too, I really can't even. But it grew worse when I learned about Caleb. That was quite unexpected. Then, just when I thought all those twists are done, Peter saves Tris. Just like WHAT?! (END OF SPOILERS) Anyway, even though I may not seem like it, I absolutely loved ALL of it. I like stories where you feel like the author's continuously pulling the rug from underneath your feet. It keeps me going and by the end of Insurgent, I eagerly set off to the third one. Still 5/5 rating for the second book :)

TITLE: Allegiant (Divergent#3)
AUTHOR/s: Veronica Roth
PUBLICATION DATE: 18th of March, 2013
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository

I will confess: Even before I started this trilogy, I already knew the biggest spoiler that will happen here on the series (I wouldn't tell it here though.) Still, with that knowledge, I went on. I LOVED the alternate POVs of Tris and Four. It just made everything better exponentially! Seeing things other than Tris' limited thinking was refreshing (and I actually knew why another POV was needed.) The "other places" that they went to was greatly painted. The newly injected characters were a plus too. I never really liked Nita but Matthew was pretty cool :) The revelation on (SPOILER) Amar's sexual preference came off as a surprise too (END OF SPOILER) I want to say so many things about the third book but I just can't even. I finished this at around 3 in the morning and I had to sleep through my FEELS! </3 Tears were starting to form during (SPOILER) Evelyn and Four's reconciliation scene (END OF SPOILERuntil the very last page. ESPECIALLY THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS. I knew it would happen but I tried to convince myself that it wouldn't. The ending was heartbreaking but it was perfect! :') 5/5 rating for this one!

(Most of them are Four's. From the last few chapters of Allegiant.)

"Sometimes, people just want to be happy, even if it's not real." -Tobias 'Four' Eaton

"People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them." -Beatrice 'Tris' Prior  (I believe this line pretty much sums up or at least best describes this series :) )

"I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last." -Tobias 'Four' Eaton

"Change, like healing, takes time." -Tobias 'Four' Eaton

"There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater. But sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life." -Tobias 'Four' Eaton

"There was only one option left, and it was letting go." -Tobias 'Four' Eaton

"Life damages us, every one. We can't escape that damage. (...) We can be mended. We mend each other." -Tobias 'Four' Eaton

I can't say anything else except that it was definitely one of the best series I've read. I'm totally IN the FANDOM now :)) I adored every character's complexity and really think that it was all smartly written (though I believe some will contradict that it is actually full of plot-holes.) The deceptions never truly end and everything was a series of layers over layers over layers. I LOVED IT TO BITS.

This series seems like a big mash up of some great titles I've previously read but only taking the good things I loved about them. It has Matched trilogy's seeming perfect but actually flawed world and choice that can change your life upon reaching sixteen, The Hunger Games trilogy's feisty characters and doze of rebellion, and Reboot's technological advancement (especially the simulations which reminded me so much of the robotic people in Amy Tintera's Reboot

I want to say more but as I type this all up, I'm being overwhelmed by too much feels so I guess I better just give my final verdict for The Divergent Trilogy which is a perfect 5/5 rating! Go read! Cheers :D

5/5 rating :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)