Wednesday, December 31, 2014

FINDING X: A Review :)

"Is there a science to falling in love?"

(Spoiler-free! Read on!)
TITLE: Finding X
AUTHOR/s: Miles Tan
PUBLICATION DATE: 5th of December, 2013
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | Smashwords | Buqo
 

Happy New Year, everyone! Yes, I'm back! Sort of :) Anyway, I've been busy for some time now 'cause school stuff and work and everything in between especially my new found love for TV shows. (On another note, anybody a fan of Sherlock here?)

Nevertheless, I still got time for my first love, which is if you haven't guessed by now, reading. And I'm still on my goal of reading local author's works so here's a review of my latest read by Miss Miles TanFinding X :)


(Via Goodreads)
Is there a science to falling in love?

Carlisle Santiago is through with men. After the devastating end of a seven-year relationship, she's trying to put her life back together. What she doesn't know is that she is the subject of the patient and methodical observations of blue-haired scientist Matteo Villegas, who just wants to find love himself. She must decide whether she's ready to give love another shot or if this is doomed to be one failed experiment.


So, I'll start this by saying that the plot intrigued me a lot. Plus, blue-haired scientist? I am sooooo in! And I was not disappointed. The pages just flew by as I got more settled into the story (which was not a very hard thing considering how smooth it went)

What I loved the best in the story were the well-written characters. Carlisle, or simply Cas, defied stereotypes of men being better than women all the time especially in the work place. She was so realistically created which is a good thing. The best thing about her that I liked the most is that as the story progressed, I felt how she grew empowered and managed to free herself from the bonds of her previous partner, both romantically and professionally.

Speaking of breaking the norms, Miss Tan did it so well in molding Matteo's character. (Note: prepare for some fangirling) He was so awesomesauce! Turning away from the usual "alpha male", the introduction of the blue-haired scientist was refreshing. He was just really fudging adorable, I cannot even start describing him! As much as I love the other types of love interests, I always had a soft spot for weird, awkward, nerdy guys. Matteo was all of that. He's this amazing older brother (which I've always wanted) with incredible smarts. Plus points because THE HAIR and GLASSES! Another thing I loved about him is that he was the type of guy who didn't just give up. Even after stumbling and bumbling over his first few meetings with Cas and after she pushed him away, he was still there. That takes a lot in my book. The geology puns were hilarious too. As a girl who is mostly called by her friends as "corny", I appreciate even the driest sense of humor anybody has :) Lastly, the journal was a nice touch to the story because it gives the readers a view on what really goes inside Matteo's head.

"But right now, I don't know anymore. Maybe I've been friend-zoned early on, and I'm just being delusional." -Matteo

"Highly reproducible phenomenon should always be scientifically provable. But with her... Nothing was conclusive." -Matteo

"Don't be like me, Cas. Don't push people away." -Eric

"Perfection was an illusion; it involved a lot of work, a generous helping of patience, and a huge amount of dedication. And MAtteo did all that and more, only to be forcibly rubbed out of her life. Only, rubber erasers don't work on ink." -Carlisle

Although the plot was a notch lower than the characters when it comes to amazingness (Is that even a word?), I can say that Finding X was a good read overall. Since it's the writer's first, there are still room for improvement but I can say that she's off to a good start!

4.5 out of 5 rating for Miles Tan's Finding X! :)

4.5/5 rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)