Friday, July 31, 2020

WARM BODIES Series - Isaac Marion {Review}

Add the books at Goodreads!
Disclaimer: Not exactly a "comeback post" I've been meaning to do for a while now but I just really needed a space to air out all the feelings so here we are.

I realized that despite being a fan for the longest time, I’ve never really been able to properly put my thoughts and feelings into words. Attempting again this time, I understand that it’s because it’s so hard to words!! And now, even though it is way overdue (for more than a year!), I really tried to word vomit everything and it’s sinking in that R and Julie’s and the rest of the gang’s adventure is really over AND I AM EMOTIONAL.

No regrets (except maybe not being able to get my hand on Soul Vomit super special signed copies bc I was a broke young lady straddling the line between graduating college and adult responsibility things that come after that)

So here's my version of my own soul-vomit about most things I kept tucked in the corners of my brain (and occasionally over at Twitter and Instagram) Here we go.
Get Warm Bodies (and its sequels!)

For the longest time, I’ve always been protective of this series, keeping it close to my heart.

Sure, it may have germed from my weird inclination toward Zombie media but Warm Bodies clawed its way out of the “zombie romance” box it is often constrained in, usually by those who’ve only read the first book or seen its movie adaptation.

Of course, I don’t blame those people. Not many are aware that the Nicholas Hoult-Teresa Palmer flick actually came from a book, and much less are aware that R and Julie’s story doesn’t end in just one installment (sad truth).


The journey hasn’t been easy and us “R’s Rmy” bore witness to Isaac’s struggle to pin down and release the book to the world while staying true telling his story the way he intended it to be told - even if it took A DECADE AND SO of hardwork (which he freely allowed us readers to take a peek at and show support through our own ways) and unexpected stuff in between (including the gigantic concluding book being split in two, self-publishing woes, printing delays, shipping shenanigans, and everything else in between.)

My close friends know how much I can talk their ears off singing odes of admiration to the amount of talent, passion, determination, and sheer will that Isaac exhibited because MYGOHD U GUYS. It’s crazy unbelievable but here we are and I am never not in awe. Bonus points because Isaac never fails to feel like a real person, you know? Ups and downs included. Like a friend by association.

Me at our little interactions through email/Twitter/Instagram

In one of his many blog posts (I’ve lost count how many times I’ve read through each), Isaac mentioned that we are “connected by an invisible thread.” and there’s no better way I can put it. I will forever admire his person - both as an author and a human being in general. Salute to you, my man.

The heart that was put into making the series possible transcends to the materials themselves. I love Warm Bodies with all my heart but exploring further depths of the characters throughout the whirlwind journey they took across the next books made me stand by this series more. I felt like throughout the years, the books grew up (and I, along with them). Each character arc was fleshed out (heh) and their personas felt fuller in my head. So much history! And motivation! And just ahhhhhh! Throughout everything, you’ll be rooting for R and Julie (the same way we rooted for Isaac to finally finish the rest of the books) 
I've Been Broken — Teresa Palmer (Warm Bodies) Gifs
Me trying to focus re-reading the series in the middle of a pandemic

It is a grim series, yes, but also very hopeful. The writing flows beautifully and it just has so many things it wanted to tell. It picks your brain (pun intended) and makes you reflect about real questions about your existence. 

Re-reading this in 2020 hits differently tho, especially how some aspects may or may not be mirroring what is happening in the present but as Isaac said, we’re all hopeful that it doesn’t just reflect all the grim things but also the gleam of possibilities it represents.

The books have zombies in it, yes. But more than that, it is a story of hope, love, self-reflection, growth, second chances, more growth, along with other bits and pieces (both good and bad) that humanity has to offer.

TL;DR: READ THE WARM BODIES SERIES (all four of it!) Get it here before stocks run out - forever!

Isaac Marion Stay updated with Isaac over at his blog, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr. You can also support him via Patreon (which I'll def be a patron soon once I get a salary raise jk)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)