Wednesday, June 22, 2016

WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE SUMMER - Jenny Han {Review}

TITLEWe'll Always Have Summer (Summer#3)
AUTHOR/s: Jenny Han

PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of April, 2011
AVAILABLE AT: AMAZON | BOOK DEPOSITORY

Ever since I've read - and loved - her To All The Boys I've Loved Before, most of my friends heavily recommended this series. Actually, I thought of staying away from this because basing on the blurb, the plot wouldn't really be for me. However, due to the continuous recs (and fine, my curiosity on what they hype is about), I decided to give in.

After a few months, finally, I'm down to the last book of Jenny Han's Summer Trilogy! I've previously reviewed the first two books in the series - The Summer I Turned Pretty and It's Not Summer Without You. I also immediately read this one after the second but I had a hard time thinking of a way of putting my emotions into words. And now, even though it's long overdue, here are my thoughts on We'll Always Have Summer :)



It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.


In all honesty, I tried really hard to like this series especially the concluding book. But alas, the problems I've encountered from the past books resurfaced although some of it were at a slightly lower level.

Here are some of my "notes" while going through the finale book:

*Why go at a University just because your boyfriend goes there? Think of your future, girl. (Maybe getting a degree isn't exactly your top priority. A priority probably, but not a top.)

*Jeremiah went from "Best BF ever" to ugggghhhh dude, WHY? Seriously, the initial parts of the book were "awww sweet #relationshipgoals" but it only went downhill for me when it comes to Jere :(


*It's nice that Taylor's starting to act like an actual best friend. Their friendship is taking on a healthier turn. If there's one good development in the third book, it's Belly and Taylor's friendship. Despite her world being so topsy-turvy, Belly got her best friend beside her all the way. 

*Conrad's slightly better. I still don't like him, yes. But out of all the books, this one's where Conrad is most "tolerable"  (or maybe this has just something to do with my disappointment with Jeremiah)

*Ugh Belly. As naive and annoying and immature as ever. Sorry but I just...I just can't.

* *spoiler* Marriage. *end of spoiler* AT 1st YEAR OF COLLEGE? This is crazy??? Unbelievable. Just stahp.

Basically, I think the whole story could be wrapped up cleanly in just a single book (or two, maybe) but three's just pushing it. I enjoyed this one greater than the others but there were points that seemed really dragging and I just felt relieved when it was over.


“A fight is like a fire. You think you have it under control, you think you can stop it whenever you want but before you know it, it's a living, breathing thing and there's no controlling it and you were a fool to think you could.”  -Belly


"But just because you bury something, that doesn’t mean it stops existing." -Belly


“Maybe that was how it was with all first loves. They own a little piece of your heart, always.” -Belly



Don't get me wrong, Jenny Han's writing is still as on point as ever but the story isn't really just for me. It isn't completely unbearable - it had lots of cute scenes too - but its overall package isn't going down my top faves.

Maybe I just had really high expectations that I was disappointed by the end. I was hoping for a swoony-and-sweet ride but it turned out to be angsty and a little bit too immature for my taste. Flawed characters who make bad decisions are fine with me but it gets unbearable when it's over the top :(

Nonetheless, I got to see what the hype is all about and at least I can say that I've met Belly, Conrad, and Jeremiah at some point in my life :) (even though I did NOT enjoy them as much as I thought I would)

Three point five out of five rating for Jenny Han's We'll Always Have Summer!

3.5/5 Rating! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)