Monday, July 13, 2015

FROM A DISTANT STAR: A Review :)

TITLE: From A Distant Star
AUTHOR/s: Karen McQuestion
PUBLICATION DATE: 19th of May 2015
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | Book Depository 
 
*Thanks to NetGalley for providing a review copy! Receiving one did not affect my views on the book.

So a few weeks ago, I made my very own Netgalley account! Isn’t that superb?! I was actually planning on doing so immediately when I first started blogging but I was too scared before since it sounded too professional. But now, I finally did and I got my first review copy! Yay! :)




I read a wide diversity of book genres, sure, but sci-fi isn’t exactly a favorite. Nevertheless, Karen McQuestion’s From A Distant Star seemed interesting so I gave it a shot. Here are some of my thoughts! :)



Seventeen-year-old Emma was the only one who hadn’t given up on her boyfriend, Lucas. Everyone else—his family, his friends, his doctors—believed that any moment could be his last. So when Lucas miraculously returns from the brink of death, Emma thinks her prayers have been answered. 

As the surprised town rejoices, Emma begins to question whether Lucas is the same boy she’s always known. When she finds an unidentifiable object on his family’s farm—and government agents come to claim it—she begins to suspect that nothing is what it seems. Emma’s out-of-this-world discovery may be the key to setting things right, but only if she and Lucas can evade the agents who are after what they have. With all her hopes and dreams on the line, Emma sets out to save the boy she loves. And with a little help from a distant star, she might just have a chance at making those dreams come true.


First thought, a few chapters in: This is SO Stephenie Meyer’s The Host!

I’m not a fan of Meyer but I did enjoy The Host a lot that I couldn’t help but compare it to From A Distant Star. I’m glad that I was mistaken, though, because McQuestion’s was not really THAT similar to Meyer’s work. Sure, a couple of things that seems familiar (like aliens using humans as suits), but overall, they are two different concepts.

Our story’s heroine, Emma, was a bit…difficult to warm up to. I do appreciate how much she fights for her boyfriend Lucas even though his parents, especially his mother, aren’t exactly in favor of her. But the problem is that she could be a little (okay, a lot) possessive of Lucas which is actually borderline psychotic. 


Imagine slut-shaming someone who takes an interest on her boyfriend when she perfectly knows that he naturally has lots of admirers around town. The good thing about her is her character development. I don’t know if I could’ve finished reading if she did not develop het attitude. Emma started to become independent and strong-willed over time and her whining became less evident (whew!) Of course, she didn’t exactly become this indestructible, gun-wielding warrior since she still showed her vulnerable side which is a good thing to keep things realistic.

The best character in the story for me would definitely be, hands down, Scout. He’s one of the characters I’ve ever read that felt genuinely beautiful. You can’t help but root for him just because. His character development also matches Emma’s since he grew from this scared little alien boy to this sweet, protective guy. I loved it when he went against his very nature not just for himself but because he needed to keep Emma safe. I swear this guy just won me over without any grand gestures. Scout managed to make me stick with him just by being himself. If not for the “tone” of how his voice was written, I would’ve forgotten that he wasn’t Lucas.

Maybe that’s why I didn’t exactly appreciate Lucas in all of his glory. He wasn’t even REALLY present in the story (except physically, of course) All we know about him is from Emma’s description, which actually might be a little faulty since it’s evident how much she adores him. I actually liked his little brother, Eric better. He thinks a bit too mature for his age but if not for him, the story would have a hard time progressing.

Speaking of the story itself, it was surprisingly good despite all the issues I’ve had with most of its characters. It was intriguing and kept me going that I was surprised to realize that I was already halfway through it in just one sitting. I liked how it was action-packed (with all-business agents, weird doctors, and crazy mad scientists) but still remained sweet and touching at the same time. From A Distant Star is a book that really makes you think not just because you really won’t know who to trust but because it’s full of things that I think we earthlings are starting to forget like caring and appreciating our planet, drinking alcohol, texting while driving, bad governance, screwed up adults preying on innocent children, and the presence of cancer that actually kills people (the scene with Chloe and her mom touched me so much!)

If there’s one thing I didn’t like about the plot though, it would be the conclusion. The conflict was resolved, yes, but it left me feeling like “WHHHYYYYYY?!” 


I was waiting for a plot twist that would lead to my desired ending but alas, it did not happen. Emma and Scout kinda reminded me of Hermione and Harry who decided to just have a “platonic” relationship despite their undeniable chemistry because they are already with other persons (Hear my heart breaking?) 


There was this scene that reminded me of the Tent Scene in the Deathly Hallows movie. I just really think that after everything, Emma deserves someone who allows her to have some authority in the relationship; someone who actually allows her to feel needed but is also there for her when she is the one who needs protection. With Lucas, I feel like she’ll always be a love-sick puppy which isn’t cool at all. And I have so much feels with Scout, gettit? This sweet little alien deserves someone better than his “match”, Regina (whom we don’t really get to know in the story.)

“Sometimes a leap of faith is required. Listen to your gut, Emma. Your gut knows the answer.” -Emma’s Mom

"Fear is one of the strongest emotions (…) And fear for a loved one is stronger yet" -Scout

"People believe things that aren’t true about other people just because of how they look and what kind of vehicle they drive. Why can you not wait and see who they are inside before you make a decision?" -Scout

"It takes a long time to really get to know someone, and even then, they can fool you." -Emma

"We were two broken people trying to find comfort from the other. Neither of us had signed up for this madness, and yet, here we were together, trying to make the best of it." -Emma

I would’ve given this book a lower rating if not for the cool storyline (sans the ending) and Scout but overall, it was an enjoyable read and something that I recommend for readers who want to try something new (and have enough patience to get through the initial parts of the book)

From A Distant Star is far from an alien/human love story that most would expect yet it’s a compelling read about friendship that would tug at your heartstring and would make you see the world in a slightly different perspective.


3.5 out of 5 rating for Karen McQuestion's From A Distant Star! :)

3.5/5 Rating! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)