Saturday, March 1, 2014

Wings on Wings: FALLEN SERIES Review!

"I would do it all again. I would choose you every time."





WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS!

The Fallen Series by Lauren Kate

With all the negative reviews I've read about the series (I even saw a handful of reviews comparing the series to the Twilight Saga) , I was first doubtful whether to check it out but after a friend recommended the first book, Fallen, I decided to give it a shot. And finally, after a considerable amount of time, I've finished the whole series including its companion book, Fallen in Love.
THE ETERNAL LOVE STORY:
Imagine falling in love with someone knowing you'll eventually lose him/her. Then imagine that it happens every seventeen years. With the same person. Over and over again without fail and without that person remembering your past. No matter where you go to hide so as to not end up getting hurt, destiny plays its game, linking your ways for eternity. Visualize that and you'll pretty much understand a fragment of the sentiments of this couple destined to find each other over centuries but to only end up separated again. Daniel Grigori and Lucinda "Luce" Price's cursed love went on and on until this one lifetime presented them with a loophole that might just be the key to break their curse.

TITLE: Fallen (Fallen#1)
AUTHOR/s: Lauren Kate
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of January, 2009
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository
MY RATING: 4/5 
To be honest, the first book didn't quite got me hooked. Halfway through it, I found myself reading without much enthusiasm since the storyline was quite dragging and unprogressive. I was torn between Daniel and Cam for some time though and that was a good thing since I like love triangles :) I could say that the last few chapters, where it got slightly exciting and some things have finally made sense, were good and some revelations were quite surprising. 


TITLE: Torment (Fallen#2)
AUTHOR/s: Lauren Kate
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of January, 2010
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository
MY RATING: 5/5 




The second book was a shade better than the first one. The new characters were uniquely made and were remarkable. Just like Luce though, I felt conflicted towards Daniel and developed a certain tenderness towards Miles. I loved the Thanksgiving Scene near the end of the book.







TITLE: Passion (Fallen#3)
AUTHOR/s: Lauren Kate
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of January, 2011
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository
MY RATING: 3/5 

The third book, frankly speaking, was a bore. Yes it was good that the readers get to see some of Luce's past lives but then again, most of her personas were forgettable. As she hops on from one lifetime to another, it leaves me wondering what's the sense of it. I never actually understood all the lessons that Luce claimed to have learned by the end of her little adventure. I must say that watching Luce do some "cleaving" (AKA going 3D) was amusing and the revelation of Bill's character was surprising for me though some might say that it was slightly predictable. 


TITLE: Fallen in Love (Fallen#3.5)
AUTHOR/s: Lauren Kate
PUBLICATION DATE: 24th of January, 2012
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository
MY RATING: 4/5

The companion book, Fallen in Love, was mildly entertaining. The short stories were cute and gave off the Valentines Day vibes considering that I read it during Valentines Day. The medieval setting was a plus too since I was doing my History Report about the middle ages (knights and all) when I've read it. I personally loved the first story (Shelby and Miles' Valentine) It was just so adorable I can't even! I'm glad that Miles have found his happiness (even though it was not with Luce). The next ones though (Roland's, Ariane's, and Luce and Daniel's) weren't really that lovely. I was particulary surprised to know Ariane's story (on how she got her scars) and her "sexual preferences". Also, I was actually hoping to see Roland and Ariane help each other move on but I was left hanging (kinda). The last one, which I believe should have been the highlight was a bit so-so compared to Miles and Shelby's. 


TITLE: Rapture (Fallen#4)
AUTHOR/s: Lauren Kate
PUBLICATION DATE: 1st of January, 2012
AVAILABLE AT: Amazon | The Book Depository
MY RATING: 5/5 

And finally the last book. It was actually amazing and I could say that it was my favorite among the others. It reminded me somewhat of The Da Vinci Code of Dan Brown, I don't know exactly why. Maybe because of all the running around for clues and relics plus, it both somehow dealt with religious figures. Anyway, the ending was loads surprising and the plot twist was highly unpredictable. (SPOILER) Gabbe and Molly's death broke my heart worse than Penn's death did in Fallen but the death that shattered it to pieces (even though I saw it coming) was Dee's </3 Although I was expecting a big battle (like what happened on the latter parts of the first book) for the finale, it didn't come but I can say that I was satisfied it nevertheless. Though I wish that instead of (MAJOR SPOILER) losing their memories of everything, Daniel and Luce could just retain their knowledge and live happily ever after even though they had to both give up their angelic natures. But then again, I guess it shows how everything comes off with a price and because of love, Daniel and Luce would be more than willing to pay it no matter how high it is. 

Overall, it was entertaining and I'm not disappointed to have given it a shot. Another thing I'd love to point out is the fact that the book covers were stunningly beautiful :) Though unlike what Daniel said above (in the opening quotation), I wouldn't "do it all again.". The story was good but is not something to be re-read. Also, since the storyline was a bit dragging and some scenes were not necessary to the main plot, I think it would've been fine as only a trilogy (a four-part series if you'd include the companion book) 

It wasn't "Heavenly" but it wasn't "Hellish" too. Somewhere in between. The characters were alright but some are forgettable. Still, generally speaking, I guess I'd give the whole series a rating of 3.5 out of 5.

3.5/5 rating :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)