Friday, April 15, 2016

THE BYE BYE BOUQUET - Chi Yu Rodriguez {Filipino Friday Review}



#FilipinoFriday [3]
The Bye Bye Bouquet
- Chi Yu Rodriguez
TITLEThe Bye Bye Bouquet
AUTHOR/s: Chi Yu Rodriguez
PUBLICATION DATE14th of February, 2016
AVAILABLE AT:  AMAZON | PRINT

Yay for another dose of some Filipino luvin' <3 And for today, we have here on the blog Chi Yu Rodriguez' The Bye Bye Bouquet!

For those who don't know: Most local authors and readers (including myself) have 'pledged' to boost their support of Filipino-authored books this 2016 and thus, the burst of little projects that could help Filipino writers get their works out there (click the Share The Love banner to know more!)

One of them is #FilipinoFriday which I learned from Miss April. The experiment is quite simple: You- yes, you- can have the opportunity to read works of Filipino authors under the romance class catalog (http://romanceclassbooks.com/) in exchange of an honest review and a little social media blast. Click the #FilipinoFriday banner to know more!



*Thanks to Miss April (@iambinibini) for providing a review copy! Receiving one did not affect my views on the book.


Every month for the past year, like clockwork, Meile Simon has gotten orders at her shop for the same type of bouquet, from the same guy, delivered to twelve different girls. By the third month, she starts to take note.


Warren Leigh likes women. He does. He knows there are too many beautiful women out there just waiting to be plucked by the right guy. But he firmly believes that personal relationships with them must have an expiration date. 

When the girl who likes to watch flowers bloom encounters the guy who's only in it while the fragrance lasts, curiosity gets the best of both of them.

In the midst of intermittent weather, will their connection blossom or wilt?

I don't ALWAYS judge a book by its cover but most often than not, I get drawn to read books with pretty pretty covers. Chi Yu Rodrigruez' The Bye Bye Bouquet is one of these. It's simple yet something that is really good for the eyes - Just look at that beauty!

Moving on, when it was first released, I was easily drawn to its blurb as well. Call me traditional, but I'm a girl who likes flowers so you can say that Meile's story interested me considering that she is passionate in something that I greatly enjoy. 

Midway through the story, I was surprised by a "plot twist" that should've been obvious because it was actually given away in the blurb. I think I may have just forgotten about it lol *spoiler ahead* From the beginning, I've always thought that Warren and Mr. Philip Leigh have a connection somehow but when it was revealed that they are the same guy, I was quite surprised despite the blurb indicating Warren Leigh. All the while, I was expecting a love triangle haha! *end of spoiler*

Anyway, the story is pretty clean - nothing too steamy - but I can't help imagining Christian Grey and Ana Steele in the characters of Warren and Meile. Probably it's because of their distinguishing characteristics which reflects the Fifty Shades characters. Still, as said, nothing to worry though. Warren and Meile's relationship is as sweet as freshly plucked flowers :)

I loved the fact that it touched upon several aspects of life although it did focus mainly on romance. Meile's relationship with her father was so sweet *awwwww* and I can't help but relate with her a bit. It's my parents who often tells me to "go out and have fun" when all I wanna do during my free time is to do what I love (AKA reading) Speaking of "having fun", reading about Meile and  Rachel's friendship was loads of fun. This type of bestie is too archetypal but nonetheless, I still like reading about them. I really need a spin-off story with Rachel and *spoiler* Geoffrey. Pleaaase!! *end of spoiler* There were also a little bit of "mystery" at some point which added to the intrigue that kept me going through the pages. Basically, the plot was simple but you'll want to know how Miss Rodriguez will be able to execute it ;)

If there's one thing that I think could've had some improvement, it is that I wish Warren's reason for doing the things he did was more fleshed out in the story. It may be because of his character but I wouldn't really mind him showing a little bit more of his soft side. Nonetheless, although I've figured out the ending from early on the story, it was still cute (especially the reactions of the girls haha) Also, I think the ending was pretty realistic since I think changing "bad boys"' habits are extremely difficult (if not impossible)


"I've learned that people will assume what they want to assume anyway. I am the way I am. No one had a hand in how I turned out to be but me." -Warren

"We all decide how we want to live our lives. Everyone knows it, but not everyone is willing to own up to their choices or accept other people's" -Warren


"I forgot how a broken heart can cut through someone and hurt the people around them too." -Meile

"After all, that you still haven't realized what it can do - leading someone on and throwing them away like they're nothing." -Meile

"You reminded me how much it can be worth to try." -Warren



Overall, I'm really glad that my first Chi Yu Rodriguez' work did not disappoint! It was the perfect match of sweet but realistic. Definitely looking forward to more of her books in the future (and of course, the spin-off that almost everyone who've read this story is wanting demanding)



Four out of five rating for Chi Yu Rodriguez's The Bye Bye Bouquet

4/5 Rating! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? :)